MTAV provides exposure to companies enabling the development of the unified, virtual world of the future.
TORONTO – November 25, 2021 – Horizons ETFs Management (Canada) Inc. (“Horizons ETFs”) is pleased to announce that it is launching the Horizons Global Metaverse Index ETF (“MTAV”). Units of MTAV have been conditionally approved for listing by the Toronto Stock Exchange (“TSX”) and are slated to begin trading on November 29, 2021, under the ticker symbol MTAV:TSX.
MTAV will be Canada’s first index-based exchange traded fund (“ETF”) focused on the emerging metaverse opportunity. MTAV is an index (or passively managed) ETF, which seeks to replicate, to the extent possible, the performance of the Solactive Global Metaverse Index (the “Index”). The Index is designed to provide exposure to global, publicly listed companies that potentially stand to benefit from the adoption and usage of technologies expected to grow and support the functioning of the metaverse.
The metaverse companies in the Index will be made up of the following key segments:
- Augmented / Virtual Reality: Companies engaged in the production of technologies, software, and hardware that allow consumers and businesses to interact in immersive extended realities. This includes the production of wearable devices, specialized optics and displays, as well as, audio and sensory equipment. These companies are expected to allow end-users to transcend physical spaces and fully immerse themselves into the metaverse.
- Creator Economy: Companies that offer consumer software tools, social media, and other distribution platforms that make it possible for individual creators to create, share, and transact directly with their consumers. This includes the provision of programs and services used for editing and sharing user generated content. These companies are expected to unlock the value chain of the creator economy in the metaverse.
- Digital Infrastructure: Companies engaged in the development, operation and distribution of technologies, services and hardware related to network infrastructure, big data, digital platforms and cloud computing.
- Digital Marketplace: Companies engaged in the provision of a digital economy including platforms and services to facilitate virtual interactions and online commerce, as well as the integration of social network platforms. These companies are expected to play a key role in the digital economy of the metaverse.
- Gaming: Companies involved in the provision, development, and distribution of technologies, infrastructure and hardware used for the creation, streaming, and consumption of online gaming and e-sports content. This includes the development of online games, the production of gaming equipment, as well as, the provision of services and platforms necessary for the functioning of the gaming ecosystem expected to be central to the metaverse.
- Digital Payments: Companies engaged in the development, distribution and integration of infrastructure, software, and applications related to digital payment services and blockchain technologies. This includes digital payment processes, platforms, including fiat currency “on-ramps” to decentralized finance (DeFi) applications. These companies are expected to provide the payment rails for the metaverse.
“The metaverse is the next frontier of the human experience and technological innovation. We believe that the metaverse will become an extremely important realm for social and economic interaction over the next decade,” said Steve Hawkins, President and CEO of Horizons ETFs. “Even today, these technologies are already reframing the way that we engage with one another, from virtual reality to non-fungible tokens (“NFTs”). MTAV is the first index-based ETF in Canada to offer direct exposure to the global companies that are investing heavily in building and expanding the digital worlds that encompass the metaverse.”
ETF Name: Horizons Global Metaverse Index ETF
Management Fee: 0.55% (Plus applicable sales taxes.)
Investment Objective: MTAV seeks to replicate, to the extent possible and net of expenses, the performance of an index that seeks to provide exposure to global, publicly listed companies that potentially stand to benefit from the adoption and usage of technologies expected to grow and support the functioning of the metaverse. Currently, the ETF seeks to replicate the performance of the Solactive Global Metaverse Index, net of expenses. The ETF seeks to hedge any U.S. dollar portfolio exposure back to the Canadian dollar at all times.
“Analysts are predicting the metaverse opportunity to reach at least $800 billion of market capitalization by 2024 and that it is likely to grow exponentially from there as more people and businesses integrate into it,” said Mr. Hawkins. “We were also very pleased to be working again with our innovative index partner Solactive AG; it required their extensive expertise to build an index that adequately captures a complex concept like the metaverse. We are confident that MTAV’s exposure to this index will provide Canadian investors an ideal solution to access the rapid pace of technological innovation and change occurring from within this exciting theme.”
MTAV will close the initial offering of units to its designated broker at 9am tomorrow, November 26, 2021.
For further information about MTAV, please visit: www.HorizonsETFs.com/MTAV
About Horizons ETFs Management (Canada) Inc. (www.HorizonsETFs.com)
Horizons ETFs Management (Canada) Inc. is an innovative financial services company and offers one of Canada’s largest suites of exchange traded funds. The Horizons ETFs product family includes a broadly diversified range of solutions for investors of all experience levels to meet their investment objectives in a variety of market conditions. Horizons ETFs has more than $20 billion of assets under management and 103 ETFs listed on major Canadian stock exchanges.
For investor inquiries:
Contact Horizons ETFs at 1-866-641-5739 (toll-free) or (416) 933-5745
For media inquiries:
Contact Jonathan McGuire
Assistant Vice President, Corporate Communications
Horizons ETFs Management (Canada) Inc.
Commissions, management fees and expenses all may be associated with an investment in exchange traded products (the “Horizons Exchange Traded Products”) managed by Horizons ETFs Management (Canada) Inc. The Horizons Exchange Traded Products are not guaranteed, their values change frequently and past performance may not be repeated. The prospectus contains important detailed information about the Horizons Exchange Traded Products. Please read the relevant prospectus before investing.
Certain statements may constitute a forward-looking statement, including those identified by the expression “expect” and similar expressions (including grammatical variations thereof). The forward-looking statements are not historical facts but reflect the author’s current expectations regarding future results or events. These forward-looking statements are subject to a number of risks and uncertainties that could cause actual results or events to differ materially from current expectations. These and other factors should be considered carefully and readers should not place undue reliance on such forward-looking statements. These forward-looking statements are made as of the date hereof and the authors do not undertake to update any forward-looking statement that is contained herein, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise, unless required by applicable law.
The financial instrument is not sponsored, promoted, sold or supported in any other manner by Solactive AG nor does Solactive AG offer any express or implicit guarantee or assurance either with regard to the results of using the Index and/or Index trade name or the Index Price at any time or in any other respect. The Index is calculated and published by Solactive AG. Solactive AG uses its best efforts to ensure that the Index is calculated correctly. Irrespective of its obligations towards the Issuer, Solactive AG has no obligation to point out errors in the Index to third parties including but not limited to investors and/or financial intermediaries of the financial instrument. Neither publication of the Index by Solactive AG nor the licensing of the Index or Index trade name for the purpose of use in connection with the financial instrument constitutes a recommendation by Solactive AG to invest capital in said financial instrument nor does it in any way represent an assurance or opinion of Solactive AG with regard to any investment in this financial instrument.
Neither Horizons ETFs nor Solactive AG shall have any liability, contingent or otherwise, to any person or entity for the quality, accuracy, timeliness and/or completeness of the Index, the data of the Index, or for delays, omissions or interruptions in the delivery of the Index or data related thereto. Neither Horizons ETFs nor Solactive AG makes any warranty, express or implied, as the results to be obtained by any person or entity in connection with any use of the Index, including but not limited to the trading of or investments in MTAV or related to the Index, any data related thereto or any components thereof. Neither Horizons ETFs nor Solactive AG makes any express or implied warranties, and hereby expressly disclaims all warranties of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose or use with respect to the Index or any data related thereto. Without limiting any of the foregoing, in no event shall Horizons ETFs or Solactive AG have any liability for any special, punitive, indirect, or consequential damages (including lost profits), in connection with any use by any person of the Index, MTAV or any products related thereto, even if notified of the possibility of such damages. Neither Horizons ETFs nor Solactive AG is an advisor as to legal, taxation, accounting, regulatory or financial matters in any jurisdiction, and is not providing any advice as to any such matter.